The National Capital Partnership for Regional Invasive Species Management is hiring a coordinator intern to lead and manage the activities of the partnership. Applications will be accepted through October 9.
The National Capital Partnership for Regional Invasive Species Management is a regional partnership between local, regional, and federal agencies, non-profit conservation organizations, and academic institutions. The members work cooperatively throughout the national capital region to raise awareness of the impacts of invasive species, restore biodiversity and protect critical habitats by managing invasive species, and train professionals and volunteers to identify and manage invasive species. The intern will plan and coordinate the activities of the PRISM under the supervision of the Steering Committee and Committee Chairperson.
In close coordination with the Steering Committee Chair and Steering Committee the coordinator will:
- Plan and coordinate meetings of the PRISM steering committee and meetings of the entire PRSM membership
- Plan, perform outreach for, and lead volunteer events
- Plan and perform outreach for professional training workshops
- Implement the Invader Detectives program, a newly established citizen science program to detect and report new invasive species. Maintain, update and distribute species watchlists, perform site assessments where new occurrences are reported, assign volunteers to search and inventory targeted areas, and manage, update and promote the watchlist. Perform outreach to recruit citizen scientists through social media and by attending meetings of existing conservation and outdoor groups. Host three events to train citizen scientists from various targeted populations to participate in Invader Detectives.
- Lead the PRISM’s effort to eradicate a newly established species of water chestnut. Network with resource managers in the many local jurisdictions to discover and verify colonies of this species, update the distribution map, and provide information to the owner about management options, with the goal of eradicating all known and discovered populations
- Prepare and submit reports to PRISM grantors.
Pay is $20 per hour. No benefits are available. The internship will be 12 months with a possible extension for an additional 10-12 months.
For more information, or to apply, please visit the official job posting here.