Old Dominion University
4401 Hampton Blvd
Norfolk, Virginia 23529
Visit Tancy's Research Website
Vulnerable populations, public awareness and opinion.View Tancy's CV
Director, The Social Science Research Center, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA, 2019-Present. Associate Director, 1998-2018.
Institutional Review Board Chair, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA, July, 2016-Present.
I have been with the SSRC since its inception in 1998 and have conducted multiple survey data collection and evaluation projects at local, regional, statewide, and national levels. I understand the opportunities and challenges of collecting survey data from various populations (e.g., businesses, vulnerable populations, professionals, students, and the general public). My work requires close collaborations with faculty and outside stakeholders to conduct survey research and evaluate programs in the community, at ODU, and at other educational and social institutions. Some examples of the survey and evaluation work I have conducted and/or managed with different constituent groups include the following:
- an annual survey of Hampton Roads (southeastern VA) residents about a variety of quality of life issues, including experiences with and perceptions of flooding, and
- a telephone survey of 1,200 Hampton Roads residents regarding their perceptions of and behaviors related to Hurricane Florence as well as perceptions of the regions’ response to the storm.
- Bachelor of Science (BS), Criminal Justice (Magna cum laude), with a minor in Psychology, Russell Sage College, Troy, NY; May 1994.
- Master of Arts (MA), Applied Sociology (with a certificate in Criminal Justice), Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA; August 1997.
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Public Administration and Urban Policy, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA; May, 2009.
As Director of the Social Science Research Center, I am responsible for the administration, development, and implementation of social science research grants and contracts. I work with university faculty, health and human service professionals, and other individuals, groups, and businesses to determine research needs and provide assistance for applying specific methodologies. We carry out various research activities including: designing and managing surveys instruments (mail, telephone, web-based), developing sampling plans and methodologies, organizing and managing survey data collection, facilitating focus groups, analyzing focus group data, and organizing and leading various research and evaluation planning meetings. I am responsible for writing research and evaluation grants as well as conducting data analysis, writing summary reports, and presenting research findings to project partners and other stakeholders.