The Chesapeake Watershed (CHWA) CESU Student Award recognizes students who make outstanding contributions to a CHWA CESU facilitated research project. Up to 3 awards of $1500 will be given annually, as funding allows.
Nominations must be emailed to Rhonda Schwinabart (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Wednesday, March 29, 2023.
Eligibility: Any graduate student (Masters or Ph.D.) of a CHWA CESU higher education partner institution involved in a CHWA CESU funded project. The student must have been enrolled at the institution at the time the CHWA CESU funded project took place and must be an actively enrolled student at the time of the nomination deadline.
Criteria: Students receiving the CHWA Student Award are recognized for exemplary efforts beyond a project’s standard outlined expectations. Evidence of outstanding contributions could include, but are not limited to:
- A significant direct contribution to the management of a natural or cultural resource from a federal manager’s perspective.
- A significant direct contribution to public engagement with a natural or cultural resource.
- A significant academic product such as a published journal article* or a technical report of exceptional note.
* academic publications will be weighted in the committee review of application materials.
Required nomination materials:
- Nomination form (PDF)
- Nomination letter from either the research institution or the federal agency detailing the exceptional contribution(s) of the student and explaining why it is an outstanding contribution.
- Endorsement letter from the alternate project partner (e.g., if a federal agency nominates the student, the student’s home research institution must write an endorsement letter, or vice versa). Nominations without endorsement will not be reviewed.
Recommended additional nomination materials:
While not required, nominators are strongly encouraged to include supporting materials. Examples could include the following:
- Copies of publications– journal articles, technical reports
- Media– news articles, television or radio interview recordings
- Links to recordings of seminars or workshops led by student
- Graphic, audio/visual, or computer-generated materials created by student as part of project.
Selection Process: A committee of CHWA CESU partners will review nominations and select recipients. The nomination period will be open for 45 days from mid-February each year to late-March. Selection will take place in April and students will receive awards at the annual CHWA CESU meeting in June or July.
Questions? Contact Rhonda Schwinabart at email@example.com.